Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thanks, Bruce Cockburn. I needed that.

I never...

....in a million gajillion years

thought I'd have anything nice to say about Bruce Cockburn's music.

But, now I do.

You see, I was driving home from work today and this song came on the radio:



...and I started to COL (Chuckle Out Loud) to myself.

You see, waaaaaaaaaay back in the '80s, when this song first came out, I hated it.

HATED.

IT.

Hated it.

It made me irrationally angry.

I'm talking, Teenager Irrationally Angry.

And that's pretty f**king irrationally angry.

The only thing that made me more irrationally angry than THAT song did, was THIS song :




Holy christ.

The songs are soooooooo loooooooooong and booooooooring and monotonous and stupid and repetitive and looooooooooong and boooooooooring and monotonous and stupid and repetitive.

They made me want to remove my eardrums with a pair of tweezers.

Now, I know that he's being all environmental activist-y and trying to raise awareness of a lot of shitty SHITTY things that go on in this crazy ol' world...and I do respect that.

I really do.

AND

On top of that..

He's Canadian.

Crap.

Goddamn, I hope I don't get my Canadian Card suspended for this bare-faced blasphemy. Fingers crossed.

Great job, Mr. Cockburn, fellow Canadian. I commend you on your efforts to save our beautiful planet.

...but could you please "do good" with better, less annoying songs??

Pretty please??

With a wee bit of organic stevia on top??

Back in the day, I seemed to have issues with certain Canadian songs of the '80s, because I also f**king HATED this one, by Luba:


ARRRRRRGH!!!

It's stupid and super long, too.

Then there was THIS ONE, by The Parachute Club, that I think I probably hated more than the other three combined:




Blech.

Anyhow, I'm a little off course.

Back to Bruce and why I'm grateful to him.

So, "If a Tree Falls"  was playing and I was chuckling, thinking back to my irrational teenage years and marveling at how violently perturbed that song made me (and if I'm completely honest, I still can't stand it) and how much those other songs bugged me, too, and I thought to my Self...

"Self, that sounds like some fun blog post fodder."

You see, what with one thing and another, I haven't felt particularly inspired and I've avoided my blog like it was someone knocking on my front door...

I've got another funny "someone knocking on my door" story ...maybe I'll write about that, too. We'll see.

And who woulda thunk that I could find inspiration in a stupid annoying long ass monotonous Bruce Cockburn song??

But I did.

And I'm writing about it.

Lucky you guys!!??

YAY???

The End.

p.s. As a favour to you, I will also share the only other good thing about Bruce Cockburn, and that is this cover of "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" by The Barenaked Ladies:



You're welcome.


OH!! ok....FINE!!!!

I admit that, since becoming a grown up person, I have, on occasion, much to my teenage Self's chagrin, found myself inadvertently singing along to both the Luba song AND the Parachute Club song.

Whatever.

You caught me.

I still hate the Bruce Cockburn songs.

So there!!

UPDATE

It has been brought to my attention that I actually DO like an actual Bruce Cockburn song that is actually sung by Bruce Cockburn.

Damn.

But I am a big enough squirrel_e_girl to admit it.

It's a really good song. It's sweet and happy and up-tempo.

It is written and performed by Bruce Cockburn.

And, I like it.

Here it is:




...I still hate the other Bruce Cockburn songs.

So there!!






4 comments:

Laura said...

I had bigger fish to fry in the 80's. My Dad was HARD into country/western music and I was far too busy "hatin" his crap to worry about the likes of this.

However.....I loved Luba and Parachute Club. (and Loverboy, Rush, Saga Honeymoon Suite, Bryan Adams etc).

Now.. I have a tres funny Cockburn story....
You know how some people in our town have that last name? Back in the 80's.. I was waitress and one of them was in the restaurant. They were paying by credit card and as I was handing it back said " Here's your card back Mr. COCK-burn". Innocently, I swear. He gruffly said.. "It's COE=BURN".. to which I replied.. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't realize the "ck" was silent."....

Mmmmm Hmmmm... Oh SNAP!!!

((Hugs))
Laura

squirrel_e_girl said...

Excellent comeback!!

I always have a little giggle to myself whenever I see that name.

I also have numerous giggles if ever there is any "caulking" to be done around the house.

"caulking gun"...heh heh

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Oooh, you're sinning against Canadian Content!

What's your take on Aldo Nova?

squirrel_e_girl said...

BBBB - I have now redeemed myself (and then some) as far as CanCon is concerned.

And Aldo Nova is a-ok in my books :)