Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lordy, Lordy!! Look Who's (almost) Forty (two)!!


So, my 42nd birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm finally getting around to having a 40th birthday party.

You see, two years ago, when I actually turned 40, I wasn't feeling particularly settled or comfortable with myself.

I was happy but weirdly unsettled.

Since I had never had a problem with getting older in the past, I couldn't figure out why 40 was throwing me for a loop.

My retrospective theory is that my life had gone through some pretty significant changes ... some pretty great significant changes but some pretty shit significant changes, too... and my head and heart were still trying to get catch their respective breaths.

A bunch of my friends turned 40 that year, too, and most of them had celebrated with big super fun birthday parties. My Guy really wanted to throw a big party for me but, much to his chagrin, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into the big-birthday-party-having mood.

However, we did mark the occasion with a wonderful birthday BBQ and the only celebrants were My Guy, The Girl, my Mom, Dad, Sister and Bro-in-Law and Niece (The Boy and my other Niece were off at camp.) We had steak and salad and a DQ Reese Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard cake...Oh YEAH!! And My Guy and My Mom demolished several bottles of red wine...I have the pictures to prove it :)

It was perfect.

Then My Guy and I had a relaxing night away at a relaxing resort and had an eventful boat trip home...but, Hammy Hamster, THAT is another story.

AND!!!!

And...

My Guy and My Kiddos got me what is now my most cherished possession...My iPad.

How awesome was THAT??!!

And I'm pretty sure that they now wish they had never given it to me ... I might spend a lil bit of time with it...maybe ...possibly ...probably... definitely.

oops

So, I definitely was NOT neglected on my 40th ...in fact, I was completely pampered and wonderfully spoiled, as I am on all special occasions (THANKS SWEETIE!!)

It was EXACTLY what I needed!!

It was very low-key and lovely.

But...

I still felt really strange about being 40.

BUT...

All that has changed and I'm ready to fully embrace my 40s!!

YAY ME!!!

The Boy and The Girl are excellent. They have navigated beautifully, all the changes they've had to go through over the past few years and I couldn't be more pleased ...or relieved...that they've made it through to the other side and are so well-balanced and awesome that it kinda freaks me out a little bit.  I have 2 teenagers in the house and they're nice... and happy. It's weird.

My Guy is excellent...and patient ...and gentle ...and patient ...and thoughtful ...and patient and has hung in there while I worked through a lot of the super squirrel_e_ness that has been zipping around in my brain and I love him a whole big bunch for that.

We have a beautiful house that is excellent and I feel like I'm finally home after 4 years of upheaval and re-settling.

And...

That is cause for celebration, don't you think??

Me, too.

And...

It just so happens that my birfday is coming up so I figured we could have a sort of combination Birthday/Homecoming Party to commemorate these milestone events.

Since I'm a little late with one of those milestones,  I'm calling this...

"My 40th (+2) Birthday Bonfire!!"


And...

If you'd like to come and celebrate with me ...you can!!

Well, I kinda have to know you ... so if you know me and you wanna come then please feel free to send me an email or a Facebook message and I'll fill you in on all the deets.

YAY ME!!!

YAY 40(+2)!!!

:D


1 comment:

Shane said...

Well written, as always, and thank you!

Looking forward to the celebration and I hope for rain up until the day....bring on the bonfire!!! Rain!....with the exception of the week of our holidays camping. :)
Rain!

I Love You! xoxo