Saturday, November 10, 2012

It's Baaaaack....

You may ... or quite possibly, may not...have noticed that I have kind of let my immensely popular "squirrel_e_girl & The Girl's Country Tune of the Week" go the way of the dinosaurs...and, for that, I am super sorry. My lack of country music posts is certainly not indicative of a lack of love and admiration of country music...


Au contraire...



There are tons of songs I'd still like to share with you, my Beloved Readers. Lucky lucky devils. 

And I will share them.

Soon.

It's just that my creative juices have been flowing in a very fickle and finicky kind of way. I have so much stuff I want to write about but am stumped as to how I should write about said stuff and I've been reading some other blogs written by some brilliant writers and I have to admit, I've developed a bit of an inferiority complex...shocking, I know...and have felt that my stuff is a kind of drivelly and unsubstantial...and so, my effort to inform the world of the awesomeness of New Country, one beloved reader at a time, has felt a wee bit pointless and uninspired...

But then I realized that I can't let my dalliance with bloggery self-doubt stand in the way of the greater good. 

I can't let you all ...or the big ol' world of country music... down. So many lives and careers, and, so much joy, depend on my weekly offerings...

So, back, due to popular demand...and a deep moral obligation to the world at large, is:

"squirrel_e_girl & The Girl's Country Tune of the Week"

...and really, this is just my pick. The Girl is with her dad this weekend so I've been left to my own devices.

...and really, I'm actually gonna cheat a bit. This song is not a country song. 

Nope, it isn't.

But it's a kickass song that is mind-bottlingly awesome and I just had to share and I have found a way to get around the fact that it isn't a country song ...a loophole, as it were. (is that even a real saying "as it were" or is that just something I made up? Who cares, really? I don't.)

The loophole is that I remembered seeing a video of this song being performed with the real guy accompanied by a country artist...so that is the version I'm going to share with you (once I've finished all my blathering). 

I'm pretty tricky, aren't I?

Like a fox.

??

Anyway, my choice for this week is:

"Funky Tonight" by John Butler Trio ...and accompanied by country cutie, Keith Urban ...you may know him as Mr. Nicole Kidman II.

So, a bit of background... John Butler Trio is fucking unbelievable. 

So very very VERY fucking unbelievable.

I was a huge fan a few years back but due to some weirdo self-preservation-type circumstances, I've not listened to their stuff for the past four years. 

But, tonight, and I'm not sure exactly what caused me to revisit the band, I headed out to my friendly neighborhood iTunes store and bought a few of their albums.

Bam. 

Just like that!! 

And I'm back at it. 

Weirdo emotional hurdle cleared!!

To explain: 

On the evening of August 9, 2008, JBT played in Toronto and we had tickets for the show.

On the afternoon of August 9, 2008, it was decided that my marriage was over.

We went to the concert anyway...freshly failed marriage be damned.

....and it ranks as one of the very VERY best concerts I've ever been to (and just between you and me...maybe even better than the Zac Brown Band concert that I went to a couple of months ago...and THAT'S saying something).

It was an experience that I'll never forget.

It was the saddest and scariest day of my whole life, but the performance was so staggeringly and intensely incredible that it allowed me to transcend any and all of the day's events and just be with the music. 

I had just been dumped and my life as I knew it had come to a heart-breaking end and, I remember on the drive down, looking out the window at the cars on the highway and realizing that I had never bought my own car insurance... or bought my own car or maintained my own car or paid for my own car and how the hell was I going to be able to survive? I hadn't had a job in 13 years. I wasn't even brave enough to order a pizza on my own.

What was I going to do??

And....

Then the music started and I was the music.

I wasn't a sad, helpless, hopeless shell of a person.

I was music.

Beautiful.

John Butler saved me from myself that night....at least, for a couple of hours.

This was the song that took me away...
(Country Cutie Keith Urban is the dude in the black t-shirt killing it on the electric guitar)





No comments: