Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Well...At Least I Can Read and Write Good.



Look Ma!!!

I made the Top 10!!

#5 even!!

Check this out:

http://www.workopolis.com/content/advice/article/2686-10-degrees-that-earn-high-starting-salaries-and-10-that-won-t-get-you-hired-at-all#comments


I'm gonna print this article, frame it and then lean it up against the wall on the floor in the basement right beside my Honours English Degree.

I'm #5!!

I'm #5!!

I'm #5!!


***********

A Little Anecdote:

Over the past few years, I've occasionally helped out at a super neat little independent bookstore in the town where I live. Historically, they've called me in during high customer volume times ...back to school, Christmas... that sort of thing. I say "Historically" because it's been a loooooooooonnngggg time since I've been summoned and I'm trying not to let it hurt my feelings. (I'm mostly joking about the hurt feelings. They have called but, much to my chagrin, I've always been pre-committed to do some dog stuff and have not been able to go in. My lack of last minute availability has most probably bumped me down on the "Who Should We Call to Come in and Help Out" list. Maybe I'm #5 on that list, too. Who knows?

Anyhoo, this particular bookstore is/was serving as the interim bookstore for a university that opened a campus in our wee city. The school was initially dealing with limited space so "my" little independent bookstore was called on to be Lakehead's official bookstore. (I believe the university has since opened  its own on-campus bookstore...I'm a bit out of the loop).

One afternoon during the first week of last September, I was in the store helping them deal with the rather large influx of students. On this particular afternoon, I was sweeping the floor at the front of the store when a herd of fresh faced, eager university kids came barrelling through the door and made their merry way to the back to grab their copies of Moby Dick and The Glossary of Literary Terms.

Resting my chin on my hands on the top of the broom handle, I stood back to admire their enthusiasm and indulge in a bit of nostalgia...

"Ahhh, Self, remember when we were a fresh faced eager university kid. Boy oh boy, we had some fun."

And then I chuckled to my Self, standing there taking a break from my job sweeping the floor of a bookstore and wished at that very instant I was wearing a t-shirt/sandwich board/visible thought-bubble that read:

Here, Hold My Broom While I Dust Off My English Degree.


God's speed, young English majors.

God's speed.

Well, at least they'll be able to read and write...and sweep good, too.

:D



2 comments:

Laura said...

I know the sweet lil book store of which you are speaking.
Can you tell by my crap English (reading AND writing), that I did not partake of the post-secondary education?

I truly regret that now. At the time, I didn't know what I wanted to study. I ended up getting 2 jobs while I tried to figure it all out. Then I met a guy and we got serious. We got married! We had babies... and here I am! 42 years old. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Congratulations on being #5. Even if it isn't a great #5-no one can ever take your degree away from you and I'm sure you worked VERY hard to get it. :)

((hugs))
Laura

squirrel_e_girl said...

Hey Laura - Well, I think that you are a fantastic and hugely entertaining blogger. I would never have taken you for a kid working with only high school English. The ol PSCI English Department did a mighty fine job.

And those damn babies get in the way of all sorts of good stuff, don't they ;) However, they do bring a bunch of good stuff with them, too...so I guess it kinda evens things out.

Kudos to you for raising your wonderful family... the
most important job in the world, I say. I don't regret a second of staying home with my kids.

I'm itchin' to go back to school but I figure I should probably make sure those damn babies get their chance at post-secondary education before I take another stab at it ... stupid babies ;)

And you're right...no one can take that degree away from me. I got to thinking today, how strange it is that almost 20 years after graduating, I still identify myself as an English major. Perhaps it's time for me to "live in the now"???